Caring for Human Hair Pieces and Toppers
We Recommend Washing Your Human Hair Piece / Topper Every 6-8 Wears
- Before washing your hair piece / topper, remove your Headline It! (if applicable) and gently remove any tangles with a wide tooth comb. Make sure all clips are closed on your hair piece or topper.
- In a basin with tepid water add a small amount of a EKS Shampoo and emulsify into the water
- Immerse your hairpiece / topper into the water and again gently comb with a wide tooth comb, ensuring that the hair is traveling in the same direction. DO NOT rub the hair as this may cause knotting
- If the suds from the shampoo have disappeared and the water looks dirty repeat shampooing the process
- Rinse your hair piece or topper with clean water
- Emulsify EKS Colour Protection into your hands to a smooth consistency then add to water. DO NOT apply the conditioner directly to the hair piece
- Immerse your hairpiece or topper into water and gently comb with a wide tooth comb, ensuring that the hair is traveling in the same direction. DO NOT rub the hair, this may cause knotting
- Be sure to rinse the conditioned water from the base of the hair piece
- Place the hair piece or topper on a towel, gently roll it into the towel and lightly squeeze to remove excess water
- Gently detangle the hair using your wide tooth comb
- Apply recommended heat treatment products
- Place on a Mannequin head, secure with T pins through velvet ear tabs or PU (never put pins through lace front or mesh) to blow dry or alternatively allow it to air dry
- “Blown Away” is recommend prior to blow drying
- “Weightless Volumizing Foam” for curly hair or for shorter texturised hair styles
- Prior to straightening we recommend “Argan Smooth Treatment Mist” or “Ghost Mist”
- We recommend “Evy Straightener” for straightening, “Beverly May Curler” for curling and “Parlux” or “Evy Blow Dryers”
Oiling your Hair Piece or Topper
- It is recommended that you oil your hair piece / topper, once a week
- The night before washing your piece, gently remove any tangles from your piece with a wide tooth comb
- Apply 1 – 2 pumps of “Jojoba Oil” to the palm of your hand
- Using a 100% Boar Bristle Brush, brush through the palm of your hand to pick up the oil
- Apply from mid lengths to the ends, one small section at a time.
- Place the hair piece or topper in a plastic bag and leave overnight
- Wash as per washing instructions
- It is recommended that you have Beverly May Hair salon perform regular deep conditioning treatments to your hair piece or topper. Ask us about our loyalty program
- Hairpieces and toppers must be removed prior to sleeping
- DO NOT immerse your hair piece or topper in salt or chlorinated water (Do Not swim with your hairpiece or topper on)
- DO NOT use a 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner
- DO NOT use Protein-based products
- DO NOT colour or tone your hair piece or topper
- Do NOT leave your hair piece or topper immersed in water
- Do NOT use hairspray on your hair piece or topper
- Ensure your own hair is clean and free of styling products prior to applying your hair piece or topper
- Be cautious when standing near a heat source (i.e. open oven, heater, etc.) Excessive heat can damage the hair.
- We recommend using “Intercosmo Il’Magnifico” to detangle your hairpiece or topper. This is especially important with the mid-length to long length hair
- We recommend weekly “JoJoba Oil” treatments
- We suggest washing your own hair daily, this will prolong the cleanliness of your hair piece / topper.
How to put on your Hair Piece or Topper
- Remove your glasses
- If you have long hair, pop your hair in to a ponytail and then apply a hair net
- Turn the hair piece or topper over and hold in front of you (Hairline facing you), place thumbs on ear tabs, slip the hair on like a cap, keeping ears free
- Push hairline of the hair piece / topper up to match up with your natural hairline
- Hold ear tabs and straighten to ensure hair piece / topper is on evenly in front of the ears
- Use wire in ear tabs to adjust and shape to your face
- Brush or comb to help shape into desired style
TIP: if you have a lace front hair piece / topper, do not to pull or stretch the lace, use ear tabs to adjust hair piece / topper placement on the head
Please return your hair piece / topper to the Beverly May Salon on a monthly basis for a deep conditioning treatment, this will ensure you get the best out of your hair piece / topper and may prevent any issues arising. Ask us about our loyalty program
Make sure you comb the hair thoroughly after each wash and every day. When detangling the hair, please start from the ends and work up little by little to the scalp. Hold the base with the other hand to keep it from shedding and causing root tension. We recommend using “Ilmagnifico spray” on the ends. Avoid using shine products on the root area as it may prematurely cause shedding
Only brush your hair piece / topper when it is completely dry. If hair is damp to wet use a wide tooth comb. Brushing should be done carefully to avoid root tension. Extreme tugging may result in the loss of hair in the hair piece / topper. Brush the hair piece / topper before each wear.
Take care when stretching the hair and do not use blow dryer on its highest heat setting (your skin is a good indicator of heat). Do not brush or tug abruptly when drying the hair
Do not sleep in your hair piece / topper.
To keep hair from becoming too dry or frizzy we recommend weekly “Jojoba oil” treatments prior to shampooing. “Jojoba oil” left on the hair overnight is very effective. Your hair piece / topper does not have the benefit of your own natural scalp oils, so “Jojoba oil” will help to replace those necessary oils in the hair shaft. Please refer to Shampoo and Conditioning instructions.
Chlorine and Salt Water
Chlorine and salt water have been known to damage hair used in hair piece / topper. Chlorinated pools, spas, saunas and ocean water can cause irreparable damage to the hair. You have been advised not to expose your Hair Piece / Topper to chlorinated and/or salt waters and do so at your own risk.
It would be advisable NOT to chemically treat this hair yourself. You MUST ONLY seek the advice of your Beverly May Hair Specialist. Chemically treating the hair piece / topper hair yourself may cause irreparable damage to your your hair piece / topper.
Some hair sheds out of some hair piece / topper easier than others. Curly and longer hair will commonly shed hair more rapidly than a short hair piece / topper. Shedding of hair is considered very normal.
We highly recommend that you remain in close contact with your hair piece / topper Specialist so that if at any time a question arises about your hair piece / topper, you can receive professional advice immediately.
We recommend that you strictly take the advice of your hair piece / topper Specialist and only use the products recommended by the Specialist. Using the recommended Brush, EKS Shampoos and Conditioner, Blown Away, Argan Smooth Treatment Mist, Ghost Mist, illmagnifico Leave-in Detangler and Weightless Volumizing Foam, Evy Dryer, Evy Straightner and Beverly May Curler will greatly increase your success with and the life of your hair piece / topper.
Recommended Products – Must Haves (as at March 2017, prices are subject to change)
Argan Smooth Shampoo 250mls $32.95
Argan Smooth Conditioner 250mls $32.95
EKS Scalp Comfort Shampoo 1 litre $89.00 250ml $34.95
EKS Mask 500ml $79.00 200ml $49.50
Blow Dry Balm $41.50
Ghost Mist 178ml $42.00
Argan Smooth Mist 59.1ml $32.95
Wide Tooth Comb $9.95
Volumizing Foam 250ml $41.95
3 Way Hairspray $39.95
Jojoba Oil 500ml $75.00
Jojoba Oil Brush $20.00
Headline It Wig Liner (box of 10) $30.00
AVOIDING COMPLICATIONS AND EXCESSIVE HAIR LOSS
A thorough discussion and demonstration about Client Home Care and Avoidance of Common risks should take place with every new client, to pinpoint, troubleshoot and avoid possible bad habits that may inadvertently cause complications over the next several weeks.
Very rarely is a hair piece / topper supplied from the manufacturer with hair coming loose. A few shedding hairs left on the base from the original hand tying are to be expected. But there are a number of actions that can cause excessive hair loss AFTER delivery of your hair piece / topper.
All of the following can cause premature and excessive hair loss:
- Excessive combing or brushing: This will ultimately break off hair and cause premature thinning of the hair piece / topper. Comb and brush very gently.
- Unattended matting and tangling: Left uncorrected, excessive matting and tangling that is then removed forcefully will tighten the matted hair and tear out the hair.
- Friction: Will break off the hair, thin and tear out the hair.
- Conditioners remaining in the root area: Probably the single largest factor creating major, ongoing, irreversible hair loss. Conditioners that are allowed to be absorbed onto the base and gather around the root system will ultimately prevent the root system from pivoting 360 degrees allowing for hair loss in your hair piece / topper. Read your care instructions carefully to learn the proper application and removal of conditioning products.
- Do Not Over Use/ Over Apply: any hair care product on a hair piece / topper. Use the product in the manner for which it was designed for best results. Remember, more is not necessarily better!
Low ph hair care products have been specially formulated to constantly smooth and seal the cuticles that are always opening up on human hair. No other hair care products have been uniquely designed to help minimise rough combing, matting or tangling of human hair piece / topper.
THE TRUTH ABOUT MATTING AND TANGLING
The following information is offered to help you understand the causes of matting and tangling in human hair hair piece’s / topper’s and the simple answers for minimising these problems.
In the vast majority of handmade hair piece / topper, the hair is knotted to a mesh base. This means the same hair is going out from the knot in two different directions. This also means the cuticles are going in two different directions. These types of products have had the hair chemically “smoothed” or “sealed”, (typically known as de-cuticlisation) to minimise hair tangling. Products that have implanted hair (all going in the same direction) have all of their cuticles in-tact, but will also be prone to matting and tangling.
All of the following can cause premature and excessive matting and tangling
- Friction: Generally around the neck line on full wigs, or in permanent hair piece / topper. Caused from rubbing sweat or necklaces. Constant friction damages the hair and opens the cuticle.
- Excessively Hot or Cold Water: Always use tepid water when washing your hair piece / topper.
- Chlorinated Water: As in swimming pools. They are extremely alkaline and not only bleach out the color, but also open up the cuticle layer of the hair shaft increasing the chances of tangling.
- Alcohol: As in hairsprays. Most hairsprays contain a lot of alcohol which is very drying and over time, will open the cuticle layer, increasing the chances of tangling.
- Permanent Hair Colors: These products which use peroxide as a penetrating agent, actually swell the hair shaft causing the cuticle layer to open and stay open.
- Permanent Wave Solutions: Especially alkaline perms open the cuticle layer.
- Over Conditioning: Although you may think you are helping to eliminate matting, too much conditioner can actually swell the hair causing the cuticle layer to remain open.
If tangling from excessive friction occurs, comb it out immediately and gently with our widetooth comb, using a small amount of Ilmagnifico or Ghost Mist. Avoid using too much conditioner, always emulsify conditioner in your hands first.
All Hair Pieces / Toppers carry a guarantee against manufacturer’s defects.
Note: This guarantee only applies for Human Hair Wigs / Hair Pieces
They are NOT guaranteed against:
- Wear and tear: i.e. an accident, negligence, alteration, abuse, misuse, tears or a chemical process done elsewhere.
- Life expectancy: it can vary from client to client
- Normal shedding: Human Hair hair piece / topper continually shed with each wear and is considered normal
- Damage caused by use of hair color of any sort, bleach, perms, or any chemical or non-chemical services to alter the original hair color
- Over use of hair dryers, hot irons or any hair styling products
- Anyone other than a Beverly May Hair dresser cutting, thinning, or trimming your hair piece / topper
- We highly recommend that all wearers read the client care instructions provided for you by your Beverly May Hair Professional
- The use of products that are not on the recommended product list
Blondes need special care. Remember, they were originally a brownish/black color and have been processed to this beautiful shade of blonde. Please treat them with care.
Please be aware that colours fade due to washing and environmental factors, your hair piece / topper will need to be recoloured roughly every 12 weeks by your Beverly May Specialist.