How to take care of your Wig or Hairpiece
Have you just purchased a wig or hairpiece and need to know how to properly care for your beautiful investment? Perhaps you’re considering getting a wig or hairpiece and want to know how much extra work is involved? Either way, this article will go over the proper ways to care for your wig or hairpiece.
Human Hairpiece and Wig Care Directions
We recommend washing your human hairpiece or wig every 6 to 8 wears. Follow these steps:
- Use a wide-tooth comb and Head Lineit (if applicable) to gently remove any tangles. Make sure all clips are closed.
- Fill a basin with tepid water and add a small amount of Argan Smooth Luxury Shampoo or EKS Comfort and blend.
- Immerse the wig or hairpiece and gently comb, ensuring that the hair is travelling in the same direction.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 if the water is still dirty after bubbles have disappeared.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Rub Argan Smooth Conditioner or EKS Colour Protection into your hands and then add to water. Immerse your wig or hairpiece into the water and gently comb again, like in step 3. DO NOT rub the hair as this will cause knotting.
Do not rinse the conditioned water from the piece.
- Place the piece on a towel and gently roll it up, squeezing lightly to remove excess water.
- Use wide tooth comb to gently untangle hair.
- Apply recommended heat treatment product.
- Place on mannequin head, secure with T-pins through velvet ear tabs to blow dry or allow to air dry.
General Care Tips
- Make sure you bring your wig or hairpiece to your Beverly May accredited salon in North Adelaide for regular deep conditioning treatments.
- Remove wigs and hairpieces before sleeping.
- DO NOT: immerse your wig in salt or chlorinated water, use a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner, use protein-based products, colour or tone your piece, use hairspray, leave piece immersed in water.
Synthetic Wig Care Directions
We recommend washing your synthetic wig every 6 to 8 weeks. Follow these steps:
- Before washing, gently remove tangles with a wide tooth comb.
- Add small amount of synthetic wig shampoo to a basin of cold water and emulsify.
- Immerse the wig or hairpiece into the water and gently comb, ensuring that hair is travelling in the same direction. DO NOT rub hair as this may cause knotting.
- Rinse thoroughly in cool water until water runs clear.
- Wrap the wig in a towel and lightly squeeze to remove excess water.
- Gently detangle using a wide tooth comb.
- Spray about 3 to 5 pumps of leave-in conditioning spray.
- Smooth back into original shape. Place on mannequin head and secure with T-pins through velvet ear tabs on side, ensuring they don’t go through the mesh. Allow to air dry completely.
For more detailed tips and instructions on wig and hairpiece care, maintenance and styling, click here.
To be fitted with a custom-made, high-quality human hair or synthetic wig or hairpiece in Prospect, contact Beverly May Hair salon for a free consultation today.