Caring for Human Hair Wigs
We Recommend Washing Your Human Hair Wig Every 6-8 Wears
- Before washing your wig, remove your Headline It! (if applicable) and gently remove any tangles with a wide tooth comb. Make sure all clips are closed on your wig
- In a basin with tepid water add a small amount of a EKS Shampoo and emulsify in to the water
- Immerse your wig or hairpiece into water and gently comb with a wide tooth comb, ensuring that the hair is travelling in the same direction. DO NOT rub the hair as this may cause knotting
- If all bubbles have disappeared and the water looks dirty repeat shampooing process
- Rinse wig or piece with clean water
- Emulsify EKS Colour Protection into your hands to a smooth consistency then add to water. DO NOT apply conditioner directly to the piece
- Immerse your wig or hairpiece into water and gently comb with a wide tooth comb, ensuring that the hair is travelling in the same direction. DO NOT rub the hair, this may cause knotting
- Rinse the conditioned water from the base of the piece
- Place wig or piece on a towel, gently roll in towel and lightly squeeze to remove excess water
- Gently detangle hair using your wide tooth comb
- Apply recommended heat treatment products
- Place on a Mannequin head, secure with T pins through velvet ear tabs or PU (never put pins through lace front or mesh) to blow dry or alternatively allow it to air dry
- Blown Away is recommend prior to blow drying
- Weightless Volumizing Foam for curly hair or for shorter texturised hair styles
- Prior to straightening we recommend Argan Smooth Treatment Mist or Ghost Mist
- We recommend Evy Straightner for straightening, Beverly May Curler for curling and Parlux or Evy Blow Dryers
Oiling your Wig
- It is recommended that you oil your piece, once a week
- The night before washing your piece, gently remove any tangles from your piece with a wide tooth comb
- Apply 1 – 2 pumps of Jojoba Oil to the palm of your hand
- Using a 100% Boar Bristle Brush, brush through the palm of your hand to pick up the oil
- Apply to mid lengths to ends, one small section at a time.
- Place the wig or hair piece in a plastic bag and leave overnight
- Wash as per washing instructions
- It is recommended that you have Beverly May Hair salon perform regular deep conditioning treatments to your wig or hair piece. Ask us about our loyalty program
- Wigs and pieces must be removed prior to sleeping
- DO NOT immerse your wig or hair piece in salt or chlorinated water (NO swimming with piece on)
- DO NOT use a 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner
- DO NOT use Protein-based products
- DO NOT colour or tone your wig or piece
- Do NOT leave your wigs or hair piece immersed in water
- Do NOT use hairspray on your piece
- Ensure your own hair is clean and free of styling products prior to applying your hair piece or wig
- Be cautious when standing near a heat source (i.e. open oven, heater, etc.) Excessive heat can damage the hair.
- We recommend using Intercosmo Il’Magnifico to detangle your wig or hairpiece. This is especially important with the mid-length to long length wig
- We recommend weekly JoJoba Oil treatments
- We suggest washing your own hair daily, this will prolong the cleanliness of your wig
How to put on your wig
- Remove your glasses
- If you have long hair, pop your hair in to a ponytail and then apply a hair net
- Turn wig over and hold in front of you (Hairline facing you), place thumbs on ear tabs, slip wig on like a cap, keeping ears free
- Push hairline of wig up to match up with your natural hairline
- Hold ear tabs and straighten to ensure wig is on evenly in front of the ears
- Use wire in ear tabs to adjust and shape to your face
- Brush or comb to help shape into desired style
TIP: if you have a lace front wig, do not to pull or stretch the lace, use ear tabs to adjust wig placement on the head
Please return your wig to the Beverly May Salon on a monthly basis for a deep conditioning treatment, this will ensure you get the best out of your wig and may prevent any issues arising. Ask us about our loyalty program
Make sure you comb the hair thoroughly after each wash and every day. When detangling the hair, please start from the ends and work up little by little to the scalp. Hold the base with the other hand to keep it from shedding and causing root tension. We recommend using Ilmagnifico spray on the ends. Avoid using shine products on the root area as it may prematurely cause shedding
Only brush your Wig when it is completely dry. If hair is damp to wet use a wide tooth comb. Brushing should be done carefully to avoid root tension. Extreme tugging may result in the loss of hair in the wig. Brush the wig before each wear.
Take care when stretching the hair and do not use blow dryer on its highest heat setting (your skin is a good indicator of heat). Do not brush or tug abruptly when drying the hair
Do not sleep in your Wig
To keep hair from becoming too dry or frizzy we recommend weekly Jojoba oil treatments prior to shampooing. Jojoba oil left on the hair overnight is very effective. Your Wig does not have the benefit of your own natural scalp oils, so Jojoba oil will help to replace those necessary oils in the hair shaft. Please refer to Shampoo and Conditioning instructions.
Chlorine and Salt Water
Chlorine and salt water have been known to damage hair used in Wig. Chlorinated pools, spas, saunas and ocean water can cause irreparable damage to the hair. You have been advised not to expose your Wig / Hair Piece to chlorinated and/or salt waters and do so at your own risk.
It would be advisable NOT to chemically treat this hair yourself. You MUST ONLY seek the advice of your Beverly May Hair Specialist. Chemically treating the Wig / Hair Piece hair yourself may cause irreparable damage to your your Wig / Hair Piece.
Some hair sheds out of some Wig / Hair Pieces easier than others. Curly and longer hair will commonly shed hair more rapidly than a short Wig / Hair Piece. Shedding of hair is considered very normal.
We highly recommend that you remain in close contact with your Wig / Hair Piece Specialist so that if at any time a question arises about your Wig / Hair Piece, you can receive professional advice immediately.
We recommend that you strictly take the advice of your Wig / Hair Piece Specialist and only use the products recommended by the Specialist. Using the recommended Brush, EKS Shampoos and Conditioner, Blown Away, Argan Smooth Treatment Mist, Ghost Mist, illmagnifico Leave-in Detangler and Weightless Volumizing Foam will greatly, Evy Dryer and Straightner and Beverly May Curler increase your success with your Wig / Hair Piece.
Recommended Products – Must Haves (as at March 2017, prices are subject to change)
Argan Smooth Shampoo 250mls $32.95
Argan Smooth Conditioner 250mls $32.95
EKS Scalp Comfort Shampoo 1 litre $89.00 250ml $34.95
EKS Mask 500ml $79.00 200ml $49.50
Blow Dry Balm $41.50
Ghost Mist 178ml $42.00
Argan Smooth Mist 59.1ml $32.95
Wide Tooth Comb $9.95
Volumizing Foam 250ml $41.95
3 Way Hairspray $39.95
Jojoba Oil 500ml $75.00
Jojoba Oil Brush $20.00
Headline It Wig Liner (box of 10) $30.00
AVOIDING COMPLICATIONS AND EXCESSIVE HAIR LOSS
A thorough discussion and demonstration about Client Home Care and Avoidance of Common risks should take place with every new client, to pinpoint, troubleshoot and avoid possible bad habits that may inadvertently cause complications over the next several weeks.
Very rarely is a Wig / Hair Piece supplied from the manufacturer with hair coming loose. A few shedding hairs left on the base from the original hand tying are to be expected. But there are a number of actions that can cause excessive hair loss AFTER delivery of your Wig / Hair Piece.
All of the following can cause premature and excessive hair loss:
- Excessive combing or brushing: This will ultimately break off hair and cause premature thinning of the Wig / Hair Piece. Comb and brush very gently.
- Unattended matting and tangling: Left uncorrected, excessive matting and tangling that is then removed forcefully will tighten the matted hair and tear out the hair.
- Friction: Willbreak off the hair and thin and tear out the hair.
- Conditioners remaining in the root area: Probably the single largest factor creating major, ongoing, irreversible hair loss. Conditioners that are allowed to be absorbed onto the base and gather around the root system will ultimately prevent the root system from pivoting 360 degrees allowing for hair loss in your Wig / Hair Piece. Read your care instructions carefully to learn the proper application and removal of conditioning.
- Do Not Over Use/ Over Apply: any hair care product on a Wig / Hair Piece. Use the product in the manner for which it was designed for best results. Remember, more is not necessarily better!
low ph hair care products have been specially formulated to constantly smooth and seal the cuticles that are always opening up on human hair. No other hair care products have been uniquely designed to help minimize rough combing, matting or tangling of human Wig / Hair Pieces.
THE TRUTH ABOUT MATTING AND TANGLING
The following information is offered to help you understand the causes of matting and tangling in human hair wigs and Wig / Hair Pieces and the simple answers for minimising these problems.
In the vast majority of handmade Wig / Hair Pieces, the hair is knotted to a mesh base. This means the same hair is going out from the knot in two different directions. This also means the cuticles are going in two different directions. These types of products have had the hair chemically “smoothed” or “sealed”, (typically known as decuticlization) to minimize hair tangling. Products that have implanted hair (all going in the same direction) have all of their cuticles in-tact, but will also be prone to matting and tangling.
All of the following can cause premature and excessive matting and tangling
Friction: Generally around the neck line on full wigs, or in permanent Wig / Hair Pieces. Caused from rubbing sweat or necklaces. Constant friction damages the hair and opens the cuticle.
- Excessively Hot or Cold Water: Always use tepid water when washing your Wig / Hair Piece.
- Chlorinated Water: As in swimming pools. They are extremely alkaline and not only bleach out the color, but also open up the cuticle layer of the hair shaft increasing the chances of tangling.
- Alcohol: As in hairsprays. Most hairsprays contain a lot of alcohol which is very drying and over time, will open the cuticle layer, increasing the chances of tangling.
- Permanent Hair Colors: These products which use peroxide as a penetrating agent, actually swell the hair shaft causing the cuticle layer to open and stay open.
- Permanent Wave Solutions: Especially alkaline perms open the cuticle layer.
- Over Conditioning: Although you may think you are helping to eliminate matting, too much conditioner can actually swell the hair causing the cuticle layer to remain open.
If tangling from excessive friction occurs, comb it out immediately and gently with our wide tooth comb, using a small amount of Ilmagnifico or Ghost Mist. Avoid using too much conditioner, emulsify conditioner in your hands first
All Wig / Hair Pieces carry a guarantee against manufacturer’s defects.
Note: This guarantee only applies for Human Hair Wigs / Hair Pieces
They are NOT guaranteed against:
- Wear and tear: i.e. an accident, negligence, alteration, abuse, misuse, tears or a chemical process done elsewhere.
- Life expectancy: it can vary from client to client
- Normal shedding: Human Hair Wigs / Hair Pieces continually shed with each wear and is considered normal
- Damage caused by use of hair color of any sort, bleach, perms, or any chemical or non-chemical services to alter the original hair color
- Over use of hair dryers, hot irons or any hair styling products
- Anyone other than a Beverly May Hair dresser cutting, thinning, or trimming your Wig / Hair Pieces
- We highly recommend that all wearers read the client care instructions provided for you by your Beverly May Hair Professional
- The use of products that are not on the recommended product list
Blondes need special care. Remember, they were originally a brownish/black color and have been processed to this beautiful shade of blonde. Please treat them with care.
Please be aware that colours fade due to washing and environmental factors, your wig / hair piece will need to be recoloured roughly every 12 weeks by your Beverly May Specialist.